Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 5, 2008

All the bandages are off, so I took a full shower today.  Thankfully I don't have to rely any longer on a 13-year old girl to wash my hair in the kitchen sink.  Yesterday I finally just asked her for the sprayer and I finished the job myself.  I told Jane that I hoped that I will someday never need her to be my primary care giver because I would most certainly be a neglected patient!  I think it's just that 13-year olds have better things to do, even if there's nothing else going on.  I love my showers and can't stand it when someone tells me I can't take one, but I must admit it's interesting how much of a shower one can take without actually taking a shower.  It's not even that hard to shave.  Desperation usually results in finding a way to do almost anything!

I left a band-aid on the spot where the drain came out.  It kinda freaks me out that I had this long tube inserted way inside by body, and then they yank it and just cover it up with gauze and tape.  But it looks as if it healed up OK, so I put on the band-aid just to make sure it doesn't get rubbed and start bleeding or something.

Yesterday was also my first party since surgery.  Some friends of ours own their grandmother's former home on the Neenah harbor and they are remodeling it
-- right now it's completely gutted.  They had a cookout/party there for the 4th, probably because they have a perfect view for the fireworks.  We didn't stay for that part because we were going to have a houseful of kids over -- both Jane and Charlie were planning to have friends over after the fireworks and we had be there to do our parental due diligence.

Today I am planning to go shopping and then I'll lay around and read.  I read a book on Wednesday that was pretty good, but I can't remember the name of it -- it's already ben returned to the library (I'm really bad at remembering the names of books I read--probably because I read lots of them--once I was 70 pages into a book before I realized I had already read it years earlier).  It was a novel about the turmoil in Iran and involved a family who fled the country; the father was imprisoned during part of the book.  The book I'll read today is called House of Sand and Fog and it's also about a middle-eastern family but takes place in San Francisco after they flee their country.  I must have read reviews of these books somewhere and decided to reserve them, because they came up on my list at the same time.  I love the library reservation system..now you can even specify when you want the book (as opposed to reserving it and having it arrive right away--if you have a lot of books you want and they all come at once, then what?)

No comments: