Friday, October 28, 2005

February 17, 2005

1. Surgery is still scheduled for March 4 at St. E's.  Ray Georgen will be doing the surgery -- mastectomy on the left side only.  This will be the first time Ray has operated at St. E's -- he is getting temporary privileges.  My blood counts were still low today, so hopefully they will rebound in time for the planned surgery date.  I will be overnight at St. E's one night unless I feel well enough to go home that evening.  And many of you already know this about me – I don't really like getting flowers, so you're off the hook for that. If you'd like, take the money you would have spent and send it to the Komen Foundation :-)

2.  I am getting Herceptin through next Thursday.  No chemo the day before surgery.  I am still feeling very positive and fairly strong. Things at home seem a bit more out of control than usual, but we are hanging in there.  The only time I get emotional is about things or situations other than my cancer.  For example, the sister of one of my
high school friends died this week of lung cancer after being diagnosed only last November.  I hadn't seen her in years, but it has had a big effect on me today.

3.  I talked to the vaccine nurse at Windber Medical Center in Pennsylvania where they are recruiting for a clinical trial involving a Herceptin vaccine.  She sent me a whole packet of info about the trial.  I am hoping to get into this trial in order to prevent recurrence of the cancer in other areas of my body.  I am eligible to apply after all my treatments are complete, which should be late summer.  It would mean several trips to PA, but it would be a fun
adventure and well worth it to me.

There probably won't be new news until after my surgery.  I'll let you know if the date changes.  Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers!!

No comments: