Friday, October 28, 2005

May 18, 2005

New picture -- more of the wigs.  I have two others that I haven't photographed, but I don't like either of them that much.

Today I was supposed to have a PET scan.  Some of you may think it means that I needed my head examined now that we have four (yes, four) animals living in our home.  No, a PET scan is really a total body scan that looks for bunches of cancer cells; I had one at the time of my diagnosis also.  Unfortunately because I taught spin this morning I couldn’t do the test. Vigorous exercise prior to the test makes all the sugar stuff they inject into you go to the recently active muscles instead of the places that have cancer cells.  So now I wait two weeks for the test truck to come back.

There isn't much concern that this test will find anything.  My first scan was clean (except for the breast and some slight node activity).  Since that scan I have had a lot of chemo, so it's a good bet that this scan will be clean.  It's the scan one year from now that I will be more curious about.

And we really do have four pets now. John and Jane have been scheming for months to find another cat -- this was  news to me!  I have to say they found a pretty good one.  He acts more like a dog.  We got him from PetsMart, who allows the humane society of Waupaca County to offer pets for adoption at their store.  
He is a black, long-haired cat named Iggy.

I put a link on this site to some info about breast cancer legislation – it has to do with eliminating the practice of sending women home 24 hours after their mastectomies.  It’s one of those things that has been circulating via email forwards lately.  Julie Waite asked me about it and I decided to look into it.  It turns out that it’s a fairly current effort.  Check it out if you have time. (If you read to the end I also included a funny email that was passed to me--I edited it for length.)

I dropped off my proposal to 13 different people on Monday.  I am referring to the proposal to my HMO to allow me to use out-of-network services for my radiation.  It turned out to be over 60 pages long (I didn’t really count the pages – there were quite a few medical journal articles and those pages weren’t numbered).  The medical director of the HMO called me right away that same day.  He told me that they won’t send me out of town for my daily radiation (which would be totally illogical).  He asked me if I’d be willing to get a second opinion from a guy down at the UW Comprehensive Cancer Center.  Of course I agreed.  Since I will get services locally, I will probably be getting them from the person I want to get them from (Affinity’s radiation oncologists are leaving so they won’t have any local people) so it’s a great benefit for me to get a second opinion…just to see what the guy says.  I will end up asking him to talk to the provider up here whom I will use.  They can compare notes and I will end up with the best possible care!  While I am not quite done with this because I don’t have a final answer yet, it looks like it pays to write a thesis about your medical case to make sure you get what you need.

Today is chemo day and there are only four more after this!  Once I get my radiation situation figured out, then that will be the next phase.  After six weeks of that, then I will send in all my stuff to PA for that clinical trial.  Reconstruction will happen sometime after that.

I have been feeling pretty well, but I get tired in the afternoon.  My assistant is off this week and I can’t wait for her to come back. Things at work are crazy-busy!  I feel like I am missing so much news this time, but I will write more some other day when my head is clearer.  Writing that report for the HMO took a lot out of me I guess!

Love
Val

No comments: