Friday, October 28, 2005

January 6, 2005

As I write these health updates I wonder if they seem anything like a soap opera.  This is certainly a continuing story, yet it doesn't have nearly the number of neurotic people you find in an average daytime serial (thankfully).  Those I hear from seem to like getting the news about my progress via email.  And since you otherwise would need to get the news from the "grapevine," I'll continue as long as it seems an effective way to relate the news.  (And no one so far has said "please stop sending me these long emails" so hopefully that's a good sign!)

Today I had only the Herceptin; the other two chemo drugs will be added back to the mix next week.  This is for two reasons: first, my blood counts aren't down this week, but they are still considered low, so we are giving them a break by not having the Taxol and the Carboplatin.  The second reason is that the tumor has gotten so SMALL!!!  My doc described the tumor as being about 8x8x5 cm in the beginning of December, or about 320 cubic centimeters.  By 12/23, he was estimating it to be 6x5x4, or 120 cubic cm.  Today he said, and I quote, it's "barely detectable."  I asked if he thought it was 10 or 20 cubic centimeters and he maybe.  So this is great news :-)

There is something important you all need to know about my type of cancer.  Had I been diagnosed five years ago, I would not be doing so well.  Herceptin has only been in general use for my type of cancer for around three years.  Without Herceptin, my odds of successful treatment would be dramatically worse.  The reason I tell you this (besides relating to you how lucky I am), is to convey to you the importance of research to this disease.  Any time you have the opportunity to support cancer research, please do so.  It is astonishing how far we have come, even in the past two years.  They are making new discoveries every day.  My hope is that by the time our daughters are old enough to worry about breast cancer that it will be a piece of cake preventing it and treating it.  So those dollars you send to support the Komen Foundation or the Lance Armstrong Foundation are well worth it.  (And if you are looking for a pretty good quick read, pick up Lance Armstrong's books -- the first one is entitled "It's Not About The Bike" -- he's an interesting character and his story is inspiring.)

After I hadmy head shaved, I decided to take it to the next level.  It was still bugging me, so I got some Nair (the gentler kind that you can use on your face) and I used it to get rid of the tiny bit of remaining hair.  When I asked the pharmacist if I could use that product on my head, judging from her reaction, I think it had been the first time she had been asked that question.  So I am now down to bare nothing.

I  should forewarn you that the next time you see me you may not recognize me.  I have several new wigs and I think I will be ordering a couple more.  I am having so much fun with them!  Maybe next time I send an email I will attach some pictures.  You may see me as a redhead with long hair, or with a short blonde bob, or who knows???  I also have many cool hats, thanks to Brenda, and to area volunteers who make dozens of hats and donate them to the local cancer centers for people like me to take home.  I am definitely going to send these people a thank you card.  I think it's amazing what these ladies are doing to help people they don't even know.  I think they make quilts that we are also welcome to take.  

(A funny hat story though -- I sleep with a light knit hat on (since as you can imagine, one's head gets rather cold without hair) -- one morning the alarm went off and I got really confused -- I couldn't see the clock numbers.  I thought the power had gone off.  But if it had, how could the alarm be sounding???  Then I realized that my hat was covering my eyes....)

I am still trying to keep up with normal activities.  I missed a couple recent cycling classes, but taught yesterday, which felt GREAT!  I ended up at the ER last Sunday because I was having an issue with my breathing -- not a big one, but since the literature says to watch for heart and lung problems while on chemo, I wanted to err on the side of caution.  There turned out to be no problem -- they put me on antibiotics just in case I had some sort of bronchial issue.  

After the holidays we went up north skiing.  Well, I didn't ski of course.  The kids each brought a cousin along and John took them all to the hill each day.  I stayed at the hotel and read three books.  And I went to the Marquette MI library and surfed the net.  Boy do I sound like a geek or what :-)

I truly think other people have been the best part about having this disease.  You'll think I am crazy, but I feel blessed to have breast cancer.  It's been a major inconvenience, but it has shown me that I have so many friends who love me and will support me when I need it.  I can't even begin to explain how wonderful that feels.  I would not wish this disease on anyone, but for me it has been a positive experience because I have learned how fortunate I am to have such incredible people in my life.  

No comments: